DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

I live in Maine and has a son who was living with me, took

Customer Question

I live in Maine and has a son who was living with me, took my car without permission and later ran into a business , charged with DUI and other. I wanted to file charges for unauthorized use and the police said I could not has he had used the truck two years ago when he had a liscense and insurance. therefore did not commit a crime, but taking my jewelry would have been... makes no sense.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I agree that the rationale offered by the police is illogical and more important is not consistent with applicable laws. The prior use, given that it was two years prior, is irrelevant. I would recommend contacting the district attorney directly, bypassing the police.