How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TexCrimLawyer, J.D. Your Own Question
TexCrimLawyer, J.D.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 4816
Experience:  Experienced in state and federal criminal litigation.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had an NSF check in 2005, but was taken care of through collection.

Resolved Question:

I had an NSF check in 2005, but was taken care of through collection. I thought that was the end of it, but this last was notified after applying for a job, that I had a misdemeanor on my record from 2005, but paid fine in 2007. I've lived in Texas since 2007, but this happened in California. How do take care of this and get it off my record.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.
The Texas courthouse will not be able to help. As far as getting it off your record, did you ever plead guilty in front of a judge?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I actually don't even remember this incident, and was even worried it was identify theft. But, it is possible that it happened and I am trying to figure out how to verify it. The papers said that it was "no contest", and fine was paid.
Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.
Call the county where you lived at the time, and ask for the county or district clerk. Tell them your name and what you were charged with, and ask for the "sentence and judgment." That is the official document that will make it clear what exactly happened.
TexCrimLawyer, J.D. and other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

After I do this, how do I get it off my record or sealed or expun??. Will they be able to help me over the phone?

Expert:  TexCrimLawyer, J.D. replied 6 years ago.
Once you get your sentence and judgment, you will better be able to determine if you can get the charge wiped off your record. When you get it, go through the checklist I have provided to determine if you are eligible.

You are eligible for dismissal of a conviction, and the court will dismiss your conviction, if:
You received probation for that conviction and:
You successfully completed probation or obtained early release,
You also have paid all the fines, restitution, and reimbursements ordered by the court as part of your sentence,
You are not currently serving another sentence or on probation for another offense, AND
You are not currently charged with another offense.
You never received probation and:
Your conviction was a misdemeanor,
It has been at least one year since the date you were convicted,
You have complied fully with the sentence of the court,
You are not currently serving another sentence,
You are not currently charged with another offense, AND
You have obeyed the law and lived an honest and upright life since the time of your conviction.

I hope that helps. If so, please click the "Accept" button (that's how I get credit for my work). Good luck.