xavierjd, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 20 yrs experience in prosecution and defense work

I read that TEXAS does not recognize the Domestic Violence

Customer Question

I read that TEXAS does not recognize the Domestic Violence Injunctions (mine is minor and should not have been granted, but my FORMER lawyer is no more, and my NEW BEST IN TAMPA AREA lawyer will soon have it dismissed),
Am I right in that, I can own a handgun in Texas when I move there soon, regardless of this INJ in Florida?

I love Texas

Dennis D
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  xavierjd replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using

Federal law provides what is called "full faith and credit," which means that once there is an order of protection, it is enforceable, wherever you go in the United States, including U.S. territories and tribal lands.

So long as the Protective Order is in place, you will not be able to possess a firearm, especially if the Florida Order prohibits possession of a firearm.

I hope you find this information useful and that you PRESS THE GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so that I can get credit for answering the question. Thank you.