Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
26296561

If you get a misdermeanor for marijuana possesion will that

Customer Question

If you get a misdermeanor for marijuana possesion will that affect your insurance license in california?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.

There is no defenite answer, it would depend on the disciplinary hearing and the individual circumstances.

If you have a professional or occupational license in California, your license can be affected if you are convicted of a misdemeanor or a felony. Don't get lulled into believing that pleading guilty will not result in a conviction. It does. In fact you are guaranteed to be convicted if you plead guilty. Once you have been found guilty, the proper licensing authority will be informed through the system. In other cases, you may be required to notify the licensing authority of your conviction.

On the other hand, if you already have a license but you are called in for a disciplinary hearing, you carry the burden of proving that there were mitigating circumstances that would diminish the seriousness of the crime. Mitigating circumstances are good reasons or excuses for your actions. It takes a lawyer long practiced in criminal defense law to come up the goods necessary to have a license authority show some lenience.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have no prior convictions, it is my first offense. Would that make any difference?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Yes. It should be taked into account as mitigatinf circumstances. What I suggest that you be candid if you have to attend a disciplinary hearing and defintely get a local attorney to represent you before the regulatory authority, they usually much more caution in any type of punitve actions when licensee is represented by counsel.