Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

if i have been charged with a misdemeanor when will it show

Customer Question

if i have been charged with a misdemeanor when will it show up on public records? i was recently charged with a misdemeanor but they did not finger print me will it be on the record?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

If you've been booked and charged then your arrest is already on your state RAP sheet Some offenses are non-printable, but they do still turn up on your record if they are crimes at any level.

Edited by FranL on 8/2/2010 at 2:08 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they did not arrest me they gave me a citation for the use of fire works
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

I edited my last post to add some information. I don't know that you saw it before you typed your reply.

If you are charged with a misdemeanor, it will turn up on your criminal history. Some misdemeanors are non-printable offenses, meaning that the police can give you a citation in lieu of an arrest and not have to take you in and print you. But that doesn't mean the offense doesn't count and it doesn't mean it won't show up on your record.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ive done a back ground check on myself online and found no criminal records what does that mean?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

There are background checks and there are background checks. I don't know where you got yours and some on-line services are very unreliable.

However, what I can tell you for sure is that so far you don't have a conviction, so you don't have a criminal record. Your criminal history, however, which at this point is just the fact of your arrest and the charges on which you'll be arraigned will be attached to your paperwork when you go to court.

Edited by FranL on 8/2/2010 at 2:23 AM EST