How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex J. Esq. Your Own Question
Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 16473
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney / Criminal Law Mentor
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Alex J. Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I reside in Houston, TX. Im on probation for embezzlement(fe

This answer was rated:

I reside in Houston, TX. I'm on probation for embezzlement(felony) for 10 years, which I've completed 5 years so far. my only other conviction was back when I was 20 years old for unlawful carrying of an illegal weapon. i was dropped to a misdemeanor from a felony. I'm now 36 years old and I've been living my entire life going by a middle name since my childhood. But it's not my birth name. I'd like to change my name completely or at least add a middle name and second last name if I'm unable to change my name completely. Do I have a legal chance?

Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to help you.


Changing your name will not get rid of your criminal history. It will still come up under your social security number ans fingerprints as well as you will be obligated to disclose your criminal convictions in some cases and in some applications.


If I have answered your question, please click on the accept button as it is the only way I get paid for my work. If you have any follow up questions we can continue afterwords.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My criminal background has nothing to do with the reason(s) I'm wanting a name change. Once again, I've carried a diiferent name since childhood because my father was never there growing up so that is the reason why i want my name changed. My legal name is XXXXX XXXXX grandmothers last name was xxxx. (she past away years ago) I carry the name xxxx and use it today as my middle name and I carry my Grandmothers last name Milano.So basically I'm using the name xxxxx instead of xxxxx. I own 2 businesses and that is another reason why i prefer xxxxxx. it sounds more professional. Do you realize how many xxxxxx's there are in this world? Too much of a common name

Generally as long as you are not trying to conceal your identity or your past history and go through the legal process for name change, it would be up to the judge to look at your individual set of circumstances and make that determination. I think the fact that you are currently on probation can make it more difficult, but not necessarily impossible.

Alex J. Esq. and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Can I clarify this for you? I understand you might not like my answer because it is not what you wanted to hear, but the law is the law.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please ask this site to remove my name from this thread. I did not know it would be viewable by other viewers. My personal information is posted on the thread.


Ok, I will let moderator know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. And maybe your right, I guess I'm expecting an answer I probably won't get. The law is the law. But damn it seems so unfair for those like myself who've made mistakes in the past. Our mistakes will haunt us for eternity.

I notified the site moderator to remove your posting because you have exposed your information.


I agree with you to some degree. American criminal system is very harsh and unforgiving. Once you are convicted of a felony, it is like being branded in the old days, and very few ways of eliminating the record. Unfortunately in some cases it is a proper way to deal with it (rapes, murder, child molestations) and in some people have just made a wrong choice or a mistake and now this record prevents them from moving on and living their lives. In contrast in European Union, once you have done your time and out of probation, your record gets wiped out as it is considered that you paid your debt back to society and if someone with a personal knowledge brings it up, you can civilly sue them for the damage to your reputation. The only other thing you might be able to consider is a pardon from a governor, but those are very hard to get.


Best of luck to you.

Related Criminal Law Questions