Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

I was walking last night with some friends, took something

I was walking last night with some friends, took something that did not belong to me laying in the street, and carried it 2 blocks. I was stopped by the police. I ended up taking it back under police supervision. In the end, I was not given a citation or ticket or any documentation of the event, although I did watch the policewoman fill out a police report, and I am hoping that was just a formality. So will nothing come of this?

Probably not.

While it's difficult to say with absolute certainty that nothing will come of this, this does seem the likely outcome. First, if you just picked up an item "laying in the street", there's no obvious crime involved, such as a theft. Second, you were not arrested. If law enforcement felt a crime had been committed, you likely would have been arrested at that time. Third, it appears you were not even given any paperwork or anything indicating a court date was being set.

If you are truly concerned and want to be proactive, you can call the police department that handled the matter tomorrow during normal business hours, they should be able to tell you if there is any type of on-going investigation.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just start your question with "FOR JOSEPH" and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.