JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I have been receiving harassing and threatening text messages.

I have been receiving harassing and threatening text messages. The threat is to send private pictures of me, which I sent to an ex-friend, to my friends via Facebook and e-mail. I am receiving over 15 text messages a day from this person. What are my options? I have tried to have her stop and tried to talk politely but there is no stopping this
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

What is it that this person wants you to do and if you don't do it then the pictures go out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This person wants me to continue to have a sexual/intimate relationship with her. I have told her many times that I have moved on and yet she continues to harass via text. When I reject her invitations to get together, she says things such as "I am going to e-mail all your facebook friends with these "private" sexual pictures which I sent her a few years ago.

She does not stop sending text messages either. For example tonight she has threatened me with sending it to my sister, mother, and every friend that she can find an e-mail for via Facebook. I am extremely upset and disturbed by it all. I fear not only for my character but also that she will become violent.
Can you please clarify then what is your actual question that you'd like assistance with?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would like to know what my options are to stop this person from threatening me. I feel that this cyber-harassment. How can I prevent her from threatening me? How can I ensure that she never does something with those private photos that she has possession of?
Your option is to contact the police and file a report of extortion/blackmail in addition to telephone harassment.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What should I provide as proof of the harassment? I am only able to provide a few pictures of text messages and phone records/text records. Also, this person is located in New York, while I am in New Jersey. Who would I contact regarding the harassment, which states police/law departments?
Yes, provide the texts, etc. as proof. You contact the police where you are located. They can work with the police in the neighboring state.