Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Fran, Im having a hard time chilling, as my lawyer recommended,

Fran, I'm having a hard time "chilling," as my lawyer recommended, while this Secret Service investigation is ongoing and going and going... Is there anyway I can send you the Affidavit for a Search Warrant to get your spin? I would redline/blackout the personal info...

I've looked over our original thread. Are you saying that the Feds have gotten a new warrant?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No its the same warrant...and its been a year since the investigation started. You would see from the affidavit that others were involved and I was a casualty of circumstances. I still remain a "target" of the investigation. Of course, my lawyer doesn't want to gaurantee anything... he says things like "it may mean nothing, or it may mean something", etc. He is a former Fed Prosecutor so I think he knows what he is doing. I'm just having a hard time "chilling" out without knowing that I won't be indicted... which could take some time in any case.

I can appreciate your anxiety. The Federal government casts a wide net when they investigate, and if you're on the outer perimeter (casualty of circumstance, others far more closely involved) this is probably terrifying for you.

That said, I'm not going to be able to tell you anything different from what your lawyer has already said. The Federal government has a statute of limitations of 5 years on this sort of an offense, and they are not going to say who is and isn't off the hook until the whole investigation is complete. The more others who are or could likely be involved, the longer the investigation will take. So like it or not, you're really going to have to focus on the rest of your life -- hard as it may be -- or you'll be heading straight for an ulcer.

I told you in my last post, and I can reiterate this, that if they are giving you your computers back, then this is as good a sign as you're likely to get. If they found anything in them that could hurt you, they would not be returning them.

I also think that you were very wise to retain a defense lawyer who had been a Federal prosecutor. He will not only be experienced, but he knows the way the prosecution works. I'm sure he knows what he is doing, and it's an advantage to have a defense lawyer who has familiarity with the perspective of opposition. No, he can't give you a guarantee, and neither can I, but if he's being reassuring, I'd go with that.