Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

my nephews ex wife is accusing his new wifes 10 year old

my nephew's ex wife is accusing his new wife's 10 year old son of molesting their daughter. She is upset my nephew did not re-marry her and is now making these allegations just to drag him into the court system and, prevent his daughter from spending time with him and his new wife at his home. what are my options to get this accusations cleared up as untrue?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

You have no legal standing to be able to do anything to get these accusations cleared up. You're not an attorney, and you're not being accused of anything related to this matter. Is this matter already being dealt with in court?

If the Ex-wife is going to try to make anything of this legally, she will have to get this dealt with in either Criminal or Family Court and would likely want some kind of protective order to keep her daughter away from her father's house and the 10 year old. At that point, if you have specific information that would be helpful to the defendant, you should provide that to the defense attorney who will know when -- or if -- it can best be used to help with the case.

To take things into your own hands and to involve CPS may or may not secure the result you most want. CPS is not known for being "friendly" when there are allegations of child molestation.

Edited by FranL on 7/3/2010 at 7:44 PM EST