How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq. , Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 109031
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

18 y.o. son charged with disorderly conduct for possession

Resolved Question:

18 y.o. son charged with disorderly conduct for possession of a small amount of marijuana in
In Pennsylvania. The grade type is “S” and the Event Type is “Summary trial”.

1.) How much detail behind the relatively light charge of disorderly conduct does a potential employer have access to?

2.) He initially pled not guilty. There were circumstances that could get him out of the possession clause on his citation – not worth getting into now, however, does he have the option to change his plea to guilty? He would maybe do this if the answer to #5 is yes.

3.) Does this charge affect his ability to apply for a driver’s permit? Somewhere on the DMV application it asks if you have been charged with(?) or convicted(?) of anything that would affect your ability to receive a permit. How should he answer? I apply this same question to the next matter.

4.) He recently (as an 18 year old) had a charge for consumption/purchase of alcohol which, after
community service and an online course was reduced to a disorderly conduct.

5.) Does the officer have the option to (at the hearing) change the charge to something worse than
disorderly conduct/summary offense?

6.) Is there a way to have his records “sealed off” or “erased” from 2 disorderly conducts and truancy charges he incurred as a minor (including internet records on the PA courts)? Same question regarding the charges incurred as an 18 year old. If so, how?

7.) When asked on a job application (not to a government position-God forbid we have any criminals there) if he has been convicted of a crime of any nature what classification do these disorderly conducts fall into?

8.) If applying to the National Guard what would you advise?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
1) Once this file is completed, depending on whether or not your son gets the charges expunged or the record sealed, the file is public record and the employer or anyone else could look at the file and read all of the events that occurred.

2) Just because someone initially pleads not guilty, they can later change their plea to guilty and this is normally done when there has been some sort of plea agreement with the prosecutor. Normally in these minor cases the prosecution will offer a deal, especially on a first offense, of a deferred judgment (where no judgment is actually entered on the record) and the offense can be expunged and dismissed once he completes some probation, usually 1 year.

3) No, disorderly conduct does not affect his ability to obtain a license, it is a summary offense. They are referring to charges such as DUI or driving without a license etc.

4) Again, disorderly conduct is a summary offense, neither a misdemeanor or felony, so they have no real impact on his criminal record as such.

5) The prosecutor is the only one that can change the charges and if he has already received punishment and completed it, they cannot change it after the fact.

6) He can apply to the court with a motion to expunge or seal and the court can grant the motion if all of the sentences have been completed.

7) These are summary offenses, they are not misdemeanors or felonies and that is generally what employers ask about. However, he should get them expunged and it is worth it to him to have an attorney do this and the cost is usually less than $1000 but it is worth it for the rest of his life to be clear of these charges and he never has to admit to them on any application.

8) Applying to the military he should get them expunged as they will make him do so anyhow..

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.


You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 109031
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Previous | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Ely


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
< Last | Next >
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 29 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
  • AttorneyTom's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:


Related Criminal Law Questions