Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Justice Degree, JD with Criminal Law Concentration. Worked for the DA and U.S. Attorney.

My girlfrind moved in with me last year. she had me sell off

Customer Question

My girlfrind moved in with me last year. she had me sell off all the furniture in my house, including the stove. Now she is threatning to leave and take all "her stuff". Is possetion really 9/10s of the law? Can i stop her from leaveing my house bare?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Possession is not 9/10 of the law. It's about title - who bought it, the agreement that you had, etc. If she convinced you to sell your furniture, and you used that money to buy new furniture, it's still yours. If you each paid for half of the furniture that is there now, you would each be entitled to half. She can't just take everything and say "Possession is 9/10 of the law" so she can keep it.

If she does, take her to small claims for conversion, which is the civil equivalent of a theft charge. If you bought everything yourself, you can also file a police report, because she has no right to take those items.

Good luck.