Linda Roch
Linda Roch, Lawyer
Experience:  I am an attorney and can answer criminal law questions.
19568076

In 1998 I was standing at a bus stop waiting to go to court

Customer Question

In 1998 I was standing at a bus stop waiting to go to court for a driving on suspended license case.I was afraid that I would be late.A red pick-up truck pulled with a white man inside offered me ride.I said yes.He drove towards the court.I told him I was on my way to court.He began to make advances towards me,I rejected them.He continued to make advances which then I became fearful and just wanted to say anything for him not to hurt me.He then turned the corner and another officer slammed open thr door and handcuffed me.I did not know that I was arrested,I thought I was being abducted.I fought this case until I went to trial,then afraid of returning to jail and those horrible conditions,I took the public defenders advice to plead guilty and go home at once.I was placed on probation and later I paid the fines and was released from the court.I have never been arressted/or convicted of a crime again.I am a licensed practical nurse seeking a preceptor position in a local school district although I am certified by the state ,It is somewhat holding me back from this job.How can I get this record expunged so I can continue to teach!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Linda Roch replied 4 years ago.

If you pled guilty, unfortunately, you cannot get the record expunged under Indiana law. My best advice would be to explain this to your employer and if it doesn't help to seek other job opportunities. I think things in life happen for a reason and this may be just one of those things but in Indiana, which has a limited expungement policy, this type of situation just doesn't qualify.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was being beaten and forced to do things I did not want to do by my mate.I was always afraid.I pressed battery charges against my abuser including domestic abuse.Do you think if I show this info to my prospective employer He may be sympathetic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think you have a good chance if you show this evidence, especially if you make it clear that things are really different now and that you look at life differently based on those experiences.
Linda Roch, Lawyer
Experience: I am an attorney and can answer criminal law questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I feel by not beig accepted by my prospective job after 12 years of overcoming,surviving,and starting anew only victimizes me all over again.How can prevent/or combat this treatment?

Don't look at it as victimization but as a challenge to overcome. At the end of the day, it may not be the right job.