Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

Son has a few moving violations (before and after age 18),

Son has a few moving violations (before and after age 18), actually just paid off one yesterday. Just turned 19. This am on way home, ran into a few mailboxes and fire hydrant (damaged it) and came home to tell me about it and next thing we know police were at door. They smelled alcohol on his breathe but did not put DUI on ticket, perhaps alcohol breathe will be on report. Charged him with leaving scene of accident with property damage. I see online he can be fined $500 and up to 60 days in prison. He made a horrible mistake, choice and I think he will never, ever do this again (hoping I am right). What can be done to prevent jail? He has been trying to get in the military the last 2 weeks. He scored really high on the (ASVAB) military test. He hates himself right now. He has not had luck the last few years (dad leaving, several trucks going bad on him, both grandfathers dying, etc., etc.). Anyway, I just know this opened his eyes. He says he was not drunk. He said he was actually texting when it happened. He is mad because I tell him all the time not to do that. Is going to an attorney going to help prevent him from staying out of jail? What about points? He wants to join the military so bad. He did not mean to leave the scene. He got scared and upset, came to tell me and to see what he should do but did not get a chance to tell me much because the police showed up so fast.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
He is going to have a problem here even if the officer did not charge him DUI because he can be charged with minor in possession of alcohol on top of the failing to report the accident and if he is then he could lose his license for up to one year for this as well as the 60 days in jail (which realistically they generally do not send someone like your son to jail on the first offense). But PLEASE, do your son a favor and do not make excuses for him ("he has not had luck the last few years" "I know it opened his eyes" "he didn't mean to do it) because this merely enables him by giving him excuses. Yes, I am sure you believe he will not do anything like this again and hopefully you are correct and he will not do anything like this and in many cases your belief would be correct. He needs to take responsibility for his actions without any excuses. It happened and he needs to look at why it happened, he can be mad at you all he wants, you need to drive home with him why it happened and if the judge sees he has take accountability for the actions without excuses, this generally makes it easier on him. An attorney in most cases can negotiate with the prosecution to get a deferred adjudication with probation (especially since he is going into the military) where this will not go on his record.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience