Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former administrative hearing officer
17897874

my grandson lost his summons to appear at Ship Bottom Municipal

my grandson lost his summons to appear at Ship Bottom Municipal Court on Fri. July 9 what to do please? Also, he was charged with having a controlled substance. Is NJ Muni Court only for traffic cases? Please advise. Thank you.
Contact the clerk of the court and they will be able to give you the summons info over the phone. The Municipal Courts in New Jersey are considered courts of limited jurisdiction, having responsibility for motor vehicle and parking tickets, minor criminal-type offenses (for example, simple assault and bad checks), municipal ordinance offenses (such as dog barking or building code violations) and other offenses, such as fish and game violations. A Municipal Court usually has jurisdiction only over cases that occur within the boundaries of its municipality Many serious criminal cases, such as robbery, auto theft, or assault, start out as complaints filed in the Municipal Court but those cases are transferred to the Superior Court located at the county courthouse.