Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

Hi, Could you please help me with a legitemate lawyer in

Customer Question

Could you please help me with a legitemate lawyer in Accra Ghana who needs to assist my friend with problems at customs?

thanks.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

Let me guess. You have met someone on line, and you've been chatting with him/her for a while. He/she is now supposed to be visiting you from Ghana, and he/she is supposed to be carrying money and/or property for you that you've either won, or inherited or been gifted. Or you are expecting to marry him/her and live happily ever after once he/she gets to the States. But suddenly, in the airport, he/she is stopped by Customs and is in serious legal difficulty, and you must wire him/her a lot of money in order to get him/her released so that he/she can get on the plane,

Don't send money. This is a scam. We get dozens of these so-called "emergencies" every day here. They all sound pretty much alike. You can read all about the various kinds of "Nigerian advance fee scams" here from the US State Department in Ghana. The tip off is that they will expect you to wire money out of the country. Wire transfers are untraceable, and you are not dealing with the people you think you are. You are dealing with a ring of con artists.

Do not pay them anything. You will lose your money and never be able to get it back. You can call the US Embassy in Accra Ghana and ask them. They will tell you it's a scam too. But if I"m wrong, they are also the best place for you to call to find a legitimate lawyer in Ghana.