Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

In Conrad V. U.S. the Supreme Court ruled that the Special

In Conrad V. U.S. the Supreme Court ruled that the Special Verdict Form is not recognized by any criminal ruling, and is only used in civil cases. My son's sentence was enhanced based on quantities of drugs not presented to a jury, not in the indictment (the grand jury declined to indict for 5 kilos). The indictment was for 2 kilos for the substantive count of distribution of which he was acquitted. At the end of the trial, a "special verdict" form was presented to the jury & they were instructed to check of 5 kilos or more, without being presented with any evidence. In light of the Supreme Court's recent ruling can he file a second or successive 2255 or a 2241?
Yes, if the court has changed the law since his first appeal, then he can file another petition for cert based on the ruling OR he can file his appeal to the circuit court of appeal based on the new Supreme Court ruling since the appeal court can enforce the Supreme Court ruling as well.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer (EVEN IF YOU ARE A SUBSCRIPTION MEMBER). This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

YOU CAN ALSO GO TO http://www.justanswer.com/lp/19qy-PaulMJD and request me.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
For PaulMJD ... I have already accepted your answer, but I still need an answer to my original question, i.e., Which should he file? A second or successive 2255? or a 2241?
If this ruling was new since the first 2255, then you can file the successive 2255 based on the new ruling.