RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  licensed attorney in criminjal law for 30 years
8534270

how many revokes can i get before my license is suspended for

Customer Question

how many revokes can i get before my license is suspended for the rest of my life?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.
Are we talking dui's or what ??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

one dui but i paid 2000 for me to keep my license and i have a whole bunch of unpaid tickets as well.

Law for you..

Mandatory revocation
Persons convicted of the following traffic offenses will have their driving privileges revoked:
  • reckless homicide
  • driving under the influence (625 ILCS 5/11-501a)
  • leaving the scene of an accident involving injury or death
  • three offenses of reckless driving within 12 months
  • drag racing
  • aggravated fleeing and eluding the police
  • operating a commercial motor vehicle when driving privileges are revoked, suspended, canceled or subject to disqualification
  • persons under age 21 with two convictions for possession or transportation of alcohol in a motor vehicle regardless of time period
Contact the Illinois Secretary of State to learn information concerning the length of revocation and the procedure to be followed to obtain reinstatement.

Discretionary suspension
Illinois law allows the Illinois Secretary of State to suspend the driving privilege of drivers convicted of the following offenses:
  • any offense for which a revocation is required
  • three moving violations within a 12-month period
  • permitting unlawful or fraudulent use of a driver's license
  • committing an offense in another state which would be grounds for revocation or suspension in Illinois
  • possession, display or attempted fraudulent use of a license, permit or identification card issued to another
  • driving without a license
  • driving on an invalid license
  • driving a type of vehicle for which a license has not been issued (for example, driving a motorcycle without a motorcycle license)
  • fleeing or attempting to elude the police
  • leaving the scene of a property damage accident involving more than $1,000.00 in damages
  • illegal operation of a motor vehicle resulting in a death or injury requiring immediate treatment in a medical facility or doctor's office
  • two violations of possession or transportation of alcohol in a motor vehicle
  • refusing to submit to chemical testing after an arrest for driving under the influence
  • submission to chemical testing which reveals a blood alcohol content of .08 or greater or any amount of drug substance or compound resulting from the unlawful consumption of cannabis or a controlled substance
  • alteration, fictional or fraudulent use of handicapped license plates or parking placard
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i dont understand that. i have 4 driving on revoked tickets, ive paid fines for two of them and two are pending. can they take my licenses away from me for the rest of my life is my question.

no it looks like they can just suspend you here under discretionary suspension.