lwpat, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing criminal defense attorney

I went to court my charges of driving w/o insurance, registration,

I went to court my charges of driving w/o insurance, registration, were dismissed.

When i stood in font of the judge my licence was reinstated. my next court date is July 29 the fact that i committed the crime i cant deny however had my driving status been made aware to me i would have acted to resolve such mater as i did when i was pulled over and first made aware. Can i use this as grounds to avoid punishment? Also can i take this to trial?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Yes. If you immediately had your license reinstated and you had no knowledge of the suspension, then often the judge will reduce it to a driving with no license in possession. I have no way of predicting what will happen in your case but I would certainly try to negotiate for that result. You can take it to trial.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
<p>Can i go to the prosecutor's office before the next court date to negotiate for these changes or should i wait till the court date to make a deal to change my sircumstances</p><p> </p>
Expert:  lwpat replied 6 years ago.
Usually the prosecutor will not talk to you prior to your court date. It will not hurt anything to go by and try.