Joseph
Joseph, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in criminal litigation including several years as a felony prosecutor
18539850

I am a married female age 30 with 4 children. Approximately

Customer Question

I am a married female age 30 with 4 children. Approximately 5 to 7 years ago we were looking at having estimates for work to be performed on our home. A contractor/family friend of 12 years was preparing his bid and taking pictures of the various areas we intended to remodel. His camera memory card ran out of available space and I lent him one of our memory cards. We have had him perform various jobs over the last three or four years and basically had forgotten about the memory chip. August of 2008, his wife supposedly found this memory chip, which was ours and found nude pictures of me when I was about age 16, 17 or 18. She came to my door unannounced and in front of my children she accused me of having an affair with her husband and being his second family. She refused to return my photos without my husband and I providing DNA which proved that her husband was not the father of any of our children. She supposedly returned the memory chip and the photos she had printed and she signed an agreement to that affect in front of an attorney. In February of this year, she filed for divorce. In the last three or four weeks strange men have been showing up at our home. That act like they know me and when I confront them they hurry away. I have called the local police and they come over and try to find the men. I then contacted several lawyers, 911 and took their advice and started to investigate various internet sites. Last evening I found two of my nude pictures on a site called Adultfriendfinder. I couldnt get into the account of either of them. I called the police and an officer told me to bad you GAVE the photos to her because she could do anything she wanted with them. That it was my fault. I am so upset and scared. A couple of the men were really scary and I am afraid for my childrens safety. My husband does not know yet. She obviously is behind putting them on the website or having someone do it for her. She is putting my address and I am even getting phone calls to our home phone from various states that we never had gotten any calls from before. I live in the State of Washington, King County. I just do not understand how basically a complete stranger can use my private photos. Up until this incident I was the only one who even knew about them (I took them of myself with a timer camera). I need some help this is driving me crazy and I am so very much depressed.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

For whatever it's worth, you are not the only one to experience these problems. Unfortunately, the situation is very difficult to address.

First, let me address the woman who had the memory stick. I'm sure you have no doubt that this woman is behind the spread of the photos. Additionally, I'm sure you're right. The problem is that there is a difference between what you KNOW and what you can PROVE. I suspect she would deny giving the pictures to anyone (in fact, I would think the police asked her and she denied any knowledge). As the memory stick was lost several years ago, anything could have happened; the husband could have taken it, so too could the kids, neighbors, family or friends....there are just too many possibilities. In short, it's highly unlikely anyone will ever be prosecuted for what occurred.

Next, let me address the pictures on the internet. You should spend some time trying to find your pictures. You mentioned Adultfriendfinder, look for other such sites and see if you can locate your pictures. Anywhere you find them, contact the site and tell them that they are using pictures of you without authorization and demand that they take them down. I'm sure they will do exactly that.

I know this is not what you want to hear, unfortunately it is the situation you find yourself in. This is one of the unfortunate side-effects of the internet age, many things are very easily spread around the world and the legal system just hasn't caught up with the technology.

I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!

Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.

Expert:  Joseph replied 4 years ago.

I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.

Thank you for your patience.