CrimDefense, CriminalDefenseAtty
Experience:  9+ years defending Misdemeanor and Felony cases.

My b/f is charged w/ 2 felonies. He is currently disabled and

My b/f is charged w/ 2 felonies. He is currently disabled and is on a fixed income so we obviousely cant afford a private attorney. His public defender is verbally abusing him and will not even look over all the evidence in his case. After cursing him out he asked if he could get another public defender and she responded im a member of the Ky state bar and head of the public defender office so ur stuck with me. His first arraignment was today and she refused to even speak to him. Ive called around to private lawyers trying to get advice but that just made it worse. She told him to tell me to stop dragging her name around that all the lawyers in out town all talk. So what do I do. We are poor and he hasnt made the best decisions but I dont see how his p/f can get away w mistreating him like this???
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  CrimDefense replied 6 years ago.
If she is not acting in your boyfriends best interest and there is a conflict with her properly representing him, he needs to make the judge aware of the situation and ask that there be a substitution of counsel. The Judge could them appoint another PD to help your boyfriend.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can he make the judge aware? She is head of the public defender office in our jurisdiction. Do you really think the new pd would do the best they could for him? She sounded pretty confident when she told him he was basicall stuck with her and screwed.