How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Attorney & Counselor at Law Your ...

Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 868
Experience:  Attorney & Counselor at Law with extensive criminal law experience
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Attorney & Counselor at Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello - this is complex - I do not expect anything more than

Resolved Question:

Hello - this is complex - I do not expect anything more than a minimum answer. I have been given extremely LIMITED information about the following and will attempt to be as brief as possible: I live in New Mexico. My sister lives in my father's house in Colorado Springs (El Paso County). In July, 2008, my father DEMANDED that I come there in order to sign as co-executor of his will. I did so. All communication since has been done via email, but NONE of it pertained to THIS PARTICULAR issue until 5/31/2010. On June 16th, my sister indicated that: "Felony Larceny and Felony Fraud pending suits against you (you will be served within the next 3 weeks)". The action(s) of which I've apparently been accused supposedly occurred two years ago. Since then I have ALREADY made restitution of ALL of the items for which return was demanded at that time, even though IN 2008 I had UTTER AND TOTAL FAITH THAT I had been given explicit permission to take the items: my sister SUGGESTED that I do so. It appears to be recommended EVERYWHERE I look that I ought to obtain a criminal defense attorney as SOON as I possibly can: as of this moment (approximately 16 days since I was 'warned'), I have received no summons nor any OTHER info from the El Paso D.A.'s office. I called their "standard phone number" within the last two to four days, but no record of my name appeared. It is possible that I had contacted the incorrect department (although the one I contacted has the title "Felony Prosecution Unit".) If I use Google with the key "el paso county colorado criminal attorney help", it returns 29,300 "hits" which is of basically of no value in choosing any one firm. I know of no one in Colorado Springs who can make a recommendation. I can't say that looking at the "Cover Pages" found of the hits are necessarily of much help, although some seem to be as likely more likely than others. However, since Colorado doesn't have a certification board for criminal defense, it seems rather hit-or-miss. Nearly ALL of the firms advertise a "free initial consultation" which, of course, would have to be done by phone: what could I expect to obtain out of such a consultation? As it is, as time passes, "more and more objects appear to be missing at my father's house": things I haven't seen for AT LEAST 10..25 years but I'm being now being accused of stealing. However, at nearly the age of 86 he also recently 'lost' an "Agreement of Estate" (whatever that is) which was IN a briefcase UNDER his work-room desk that is worth an large amount of money: I had NEVER been given a copy of it, nor his will, nor ANY of the associated documents. Still, it has being demanded of me in increasingly angry tones. I truly believe that his accusations are being driven by my immediately elder sister's emotional instability (this is the one who lives in the house; and yes, I understand I am in no position to make such a judgment!!): for SOME reason she ALSO 'carbon-copied' me on a great amount of email sent to the other three sisters - one of which threatens to shoot them (or ANYONE she feared - how about a plain-clothes cop??) with a pistol that doesn't belong to her nor for which she holds a a permit with hollow-tipped bullets if they stepped on the property! For the first quarter of the year, she was unbelievably friendly to me (we hadn't been in contact for some time), and now for the second quarter she has become more and more vituperative: using foul language and generally harassing me any time she can. She supposedly works as house-keeper at my Dad's place and also his caretaker: he uses an oxygen concentrator (85% oxygen output, continuous) nearly all the time for chronic emphysema and has an enormous number of size "E" oxygen cylinders around the house. He is too stubborn or lazy or... whatever to actually remove his cannula to a safe place & puts it instead on his forehead when he decides to smoke cigarettes. Since he CANNOT get around and since his "caretaker" has made the threats like the one noted above, the rest of the family (and and a county health-inspector at one time) aren't allowed to go in the house... how does he CONTINUE to obtain cigarettes? I won't make the obvious conclusion but, he certainly is getting them from SOMEWHERE. An "accident" occurred last fall that left 1/2 of his face covered with 1st.. 2nd degree burns as well as his arms, his clothing caught on fire as well as the tips of the cannula. I believe she is somehow unstable and causing him to set up this situation (the property I've been accused of taking does NOT belong to her & thus she isn't the one who can EASILY make complaints). I'm at a total loss. I know I've already written far too much here and, in fact, only asked one question that has two potential answers: (1) Should I obtain a criminal defense lawyer as soon as I possibly can, preferably in the appropriate venue, and FAR more importantly, HOW CAN I CHOOSE ONE THAT IS ACTUALLY GOING TO HELP ME DEFEND MYSELF??? Thank you
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Attorney & Counselor at Law replied 4 years ago.

This sounds like a serious situation. However, my first recommendation to you is to relax. If you did not do anything illegal or criminal, then you need not unnessisarily fear any prosecution.

Just because your sister stated that you will face such legal suits, that does not mean that such suits will actually materialize.

Before any criminal action can be brought against you, a judge or prosecutor must have evidence that indicates probable cause that you committed a crime. It sounds like you are innocent, so the existence of such evidence is unlikely.

If you are indeed charged with a crime, you will have ample opportunity to secure your own defense attorney and present your defense to a jury of your peers. If a jury does not agree unanomiously that you are guilty, then you will be acquited of the crime, and will never have to worry about that charge again.

If you want to have an attorney on retainer in case of future need, you can contact the Metropolitan Lawyer Referral Service
or the El Paso County Bar Association:

Please ask the attorneys referred to explain their experience dealing with financial crimes and for testimonials from former clients.

I hope my answer helps with your understanding. Thank you for using Just Answer!
Attorney & Counselor at Law, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 868
Experience: Attorney & Counselor at Law with extensive criminal law experience
Attorney & Counselor at Law and 2 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
< Last | Next >
  • Your Expert advise has provided insight on a difficult situation. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I will definitely recommend your website to my friends. Norma Pensacola, FL
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL

Meet The Experts:

  • Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Fran L.'s Avatar

    Fran L.

    JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor

    Satisfied Customers:

    18 yrs of NYC public defense. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Nate's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years of criminal defense practice.
  • LawTalk's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    30 years legal experience
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16 yrs. of experience including criminal law.
  • Marsha411JD's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney with 27 yrs. exp. in criminal law
  • RobertJDFL's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Related Criminal Law Questions

Chat Now With A Criminal Lawyer
Attorney & Counselor at Law
Attorney & Counselor at Law
99 Satisfied Customers
Attorney & Counselor at Law with extensive criminal law experience