Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

How can a defendant petition the court for a public defender before their date to app

Customer Question

I live in the state of California. I was arrested, and booked for the charge of petty theft. I was released (ROR), and given a citation to appear in court. How can I petition the court for a public defender before my court date?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

Have you had pre-hearing yet? If so, how many times has it been reset?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I live in the state of California. I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor of petty theft. I was booked and released (ror) with a citation to appear in court. I cannot afford an attorney. How can I petition the court for a public defender before my court date?