Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.

I have a rental property. The landlord has been ordered by

I have a rental property. The landlord has been ordered by the health department to clean up mold in the apartment. I heard him tell a contractor just to sheetrock over it. Can I legally put a hidden listening device in my apartment to catch my landlord talking to the contractors?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

if you can interject yourself into the conversation, then you can record it and reveal the contents. but if you are not a party to the conversation, then you need to have permission of at least one of the parties to record.

Wisconsin law only allows taping when a party to the communication is aware it is being done. in other words, you must be a part of the conversation some how or you will be breaking the law

you can also consider bringing in a friend or neighbor while they are discussing this who will then be able to testify what is occurring. at any rate, i suggest you contact the health department and let them know what you heard and suspect so they can get in there and see what is happening