How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a rental property. The landlord has been ordered by

Resolved Question:

I have a rental property. The landlord has been ordered by the health department to clean up mold in the apartment. I heard him tell a contractor just to sheetrock over it. Can I legally put a hidden listening device in my apartment to catch my landlord talking to the contractors?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.



if you can interject yourself into the conversation, then you can record it and reveal the contents. but if you are not a party to the conversation, then you need to have permission of at least one of the parties to record.


Wisconsin law only allows taping when a party to the communication is aware it is being done. in other words, you must be a part of the conversation some how or you will be breaking the law


you can also consider bringing in a friend or neighbor while they are discussing this who will then be able to testify what is occurring. at any rate, i suggest you contact the health department and let them know what you heard and suspect so they can get in there and see what is happening


Samuel II and 3 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Criminal Law Questions