JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I need to write a letter to a judge for my brother - he migth

I need to write a letter to a judge for my brother - he migth get his bond revoked because he got a DUI while on bond from something else... I have several letters and certificates pertaining to his business that state his name- all indicating the goods works and good will his company does to the community over the past two years. We want to let the judge know that he is not a risk and should stay out on bond. The original charge was drugs found in his vehicle during a traffic stop - he had just come from a major event people had stored their things in his trunk - some white powder was found in a small plastic bag.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

1. Who will be signing the letter: you or your brother?

2. Can you please clarify what is your actual question that you would like assistance with?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My brother will be signing the letter.

The letter will be a cover letter to the letters and certificates that my brother has received showing his community support to the Military and the community. We want to do this to show the judge that he is not a flight risk and should stay out on bond until his cout date of August 3, 2010. I know it need to be short and to the point - I just need to know how to word it

Who told your brother to put together a letter for the judge at his bond hearing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No one - we are just trying to be prepared. He goes to court July 6 for the bond revoke motion. He did a stupid thing and was driving after he had a few drinks - he got arrested for DUI while on out on Bond. We are hoping that the judge will see that he is not a flight risk and has ties to the community. His original drug charge should go away when he goes to trial or at least be reduced.
Sorry but your brother does not present a letter to the judge at a bond revocation hearing.

He can speak to the court and say whatever he wants at the hearing. The judge will ask him if there's anything he wants to say. Your brother can prepare some notes to himself of talking points, if he wants.

However, the judge will not read a letter.

In making any decision on bond, the judge is going to take into account your brother's:
ties to the community
seriousness of the offense
danger to the community
criminal history
family support
likelihood of conviction

Good luck and best wishes for better days ahead. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.