Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice
12176198

can i get off house arrest early

can i get off house arrest early?

i signed a plea agreement on 5/5/10 and sentenced that day.
I have been on house arrest since 5/12/10
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 4 years ago.
Hello.

You can file a Motion for Reduction of Sentence with the court that sentenced you, under this law:

Reduction or suspension of sentence
Sec. 17. (a) Within three hundred sixty-five (365) days after:
(1) a convicted person begins serving the sentence imposed on the person;
(2) a hearing is held:
(A) at which the convicted person is present; and
(B) of which the prosecuting attorney has been notified; and
(3) the court obtains a report from the department of correction concerning the convicted person's conduct while imprisoned;
the court may reduce or suspend the sentence. The court must incorporate its reasons in the record.
(b) If more than three hundred sixty-five (365) days have elapsed since the convicted person began serving the sentence and after a hearing at which the convicted person is present, the court may reduce or suspend the sentence, subject to the approval of the prosecuting attorney. However, if in a sentencing hearing for a convicted person conducted after June 30, 2001, the court could have placed the convicted person in a community corrections program as an alternative to commitment to the department of correction, the court may modify the convicted person's sentence under this section without the approval of the prosecuting attorney to place the convicted person in a community corrections program under IC 35-38-2.6.
(c) The court must give notice of the order to reduce or suspend the sentence under this section to the victim (as defined in

IC 35-35-3-1) of the crime for which the convicted person is serving the sentence.
(d) The court may suspend a sentence for a felony under this section only if suspension is permitted under IC 35-50-2-2.
(e) The court may deny a request to suspend or reduce a sentence under this section without making written findings and conclusions.
(f) Notwithstanding subsections (a) and (b), the court is not required to conduct a hearing before reducing or suspending a sentence if:
(1) the prosecuting attorney has filed with the court an agreement of the reduction or suspension of the sentence; and
(2) the convicted person has filed with the court a waiver of the right to be present when the order to reduce or suspend the sentence is considered.

Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience: 9 years legal experience, primarily in criminal justice