Barrister, Criminal Defense Law
Experience:  14 years practicing criminal defense.
19958803

what if i found a car behind my grandmas house and didnt know

Customer Question

what if i found a car behind my grandma's house and didnt know it was stolen... but doing the honset thing by callin the insurance company ( which they told me to call the police), and then called the police department, gave them my name, and where the car was.... even though i my finger print was on the car... true. but i didnt know where it came from and or who it belongs to... can they or do they have a right to point the finger at me for something somebody else did?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

With you reporting the car it would tend to indicate that you simply found the car and had no involvement in its theft. The police would have to have some additional evidence that you had something to do with it other than a fingerprint as you might have entered the car to see if there was any identifying information that would allow you to notify the owner.

.

There is nothing that would prevent them from looking at you as a "person of interest". If the police do decide to file charges for theft, do not make any statements to them and request that you have an attorney appointed to represent you. If there was no damage and the car was recovered intact, I would find it unlikely that they would pursure it without any further incriminating evidence.

.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, the car was bare and stripped down... seats, motor, and tranny was gone... just to find 1 finger print doesnt mean i did this.... i know it takes 3 to 4 people to do this job like this.... 1 person aint gonna accomplish that much damage on 1 car... it will take 1 person to do that kind of job... like in 3 or 4 months tops
Expert:  Barrister replied 4 years ago.

Unless the police can get additional evidence pointing to you such as witnesses or physical evidence that you had something to do with it, I don't see them being able to make a case against you.

.

With that said, it would seem odd that a car would either be towed there and left or that one would sit there long enough for this to occur without someone noticing it....

.

But merely finding a stolen car and leaving a fingerprint from where you inspected it would not likely hold up in court for any type of prosecution.

.

,.

Thanks.