Ellen, Lawyer
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.

Three years ago I was convicted of a felony possession charge

Customer Question

Three years ago I was convicted of a felony possession charge in Florida, adjudication was with held and I served my time and have completed probation. I was curious as to my gun rights as they were not clearly stated in my termination letter. I contacted fdle they told me that i may not purchase a firearm for 3 years but they did not know if i could posses the ones that i already own they referred me atf they also did not have a answer i would simply like to know if i am allowed to posses my firearms
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

I am the JustAnswer expert that will be helping you today. I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. Although I am not your attorney, I hope that I can give you helpful legal information.

Federal law prohibits possession of a firearm by a convicted felon or by a person who was convicted of a crime punishable by more than one year in prison.

Adjudication withheld in Florida is not considered a conviction for purposes of firearm possession. Thus it appears that you may own a firearm