J.Hazelbaker, Lawyer
Experience:  Extensive training and experience in criminal law matters, both prosecuting and defending.

I have been arrested and charged with retail theft 300+ the

I have been arrested and charged with retail theft 300+ the amount of the charge is 447.00. I bought something from my employer below cost. No other charges have been filed. This is my first offense ever, I've read about a program in Broward County Florida called PTI (Pre Trial Intervention). It is run by the Sheriff department and diverts your trial enters you into a program that upon completion may expunge your record and elimate trial process. What is the process for getting into the program/ how long does it take to complete/ Who needs to approve? I can't find any detailed information on the matter, is this a viable option for me?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  J.Hazelbaker replied 6 years ago.
These types of programs are routine for first-time offenders charged with minor crimes. In the scope of things, yours is a "minor" crime.

The way it works is that you have to negotiate resolution of your charge with the prosecuting/district attorney. If they agree to PTI, then they will recommend it to the court and the court almost always accepts.

In addition to the classes/counseling that you have to take, you will also have to serve a period of probation, so the PTI ultimately takes as long as your assigned probation, which will likely be in the neighborhood of one year, given the type of crime you have been charged with. As long as you don't have any additional charges during the probationary period, a dismissal will be granted at the end of that period and you will then be able to submit a petition to the same court to expunge your dismissed charge.

The key now is to contact the prosecutor either before your first hearing or at your first hearing and ask for the PTI.

Please let me know, if you have follow-up questions.