Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have developed a business model for a Web based system and

I have developed a business model for a Web based system and I am concerned about it's legality. The system will allow users to purchase virtual currency and then use that virtual currency to trade virtual securities/commodities generated by the popularity of Web media content like song downloads and Web videos views. The system is similar to stock trading in that customers will be able to earn money by purchasing virtual securities/commodities for a media property that continues to increase in popularity. Basically, my concern is that this can be misconstrued for online gambling. I want to make certain that this system is legal.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

It's perfectly legal. You may indeed use virtual credits. Several startups have already tried this - remember eGold, for example? So it IS legal.Now, as for the gambling aspect - the laws can be found here:http://www.gambling-law-us.com/State-Laws/New-York/Nothing that you mention comes close to this - I think you'll be okay.

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Eli,

Thank you so much for help. The link to the US gambling laws was espeically helpful.

My entire argument was based on the fact that the securties/commodities exchange is legal. Is this an accurate assessment?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Absolutely. That's the same view I took. Don't worry - this is not enough to arouse the interest of "the man." :)