Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I live in Washington State.... I recieved a notice in the

I live in Washington State....
I recieved a notice in the mail from the City of Puyallup that a car registered to me ran one of those red light cameras.
I was at work that day....easy to prove...
I'm pretty sure I know who was driving the car....but have chosen not to ask him/her
So, Puyallup is telling me I MUST put the driver's name on the 'Declaration of Non-Liability' form or I must request a court date....
So I'm wondering 1) Puyallup already has me listed as 'defendant'---can they really do that without proof?
2) Is it 'worth it' to press the case to court...what will I be most likely be asked etc...
I just feel like this is a form of 'tattle-tailing' on your neibior...with the demand of either/or--orelse!
Thanks!
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of JustAnswer's attorneys. I'll be helping you resolve your matter today.

Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

(1) Yes, they can. Since your name is XXXXX XXXXX car, it are assumed that you were driving it. They don't look at every photo taken by the red light camera to compare the likeness to the driver's license. So if you do not list someone else, they will assume it's you and you'll have a hard time proving otherwise if you do not tell them who the other party is.(2) Well, that depends. How much is the ticket? You can just pay it, or press for trial, but it may not be worth it - you'd have to come back 2 more times, and if you lose (likely), a record and a large fine await you. Of course you CAN hire an attorney to fight it for you, and they MAY dismiss it on a procedural error or something, but you’d end up paying the attorney MORE that you would pay the for a program that would keep the ticket off your record anyways. Practicality over principle here makes more sense. Traffic tickets are a cash cow for counties and municipalities – it’s not about fairness here; it’s about revenue for them. I'd say pay it, cut your losses, and go...

Best of luck in your matter. I'm here if you need any more clarification or follow up information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work - when you put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

There is no fee for follow up questions should you wish to continue in this thread.

Remember, sometimes the law under which your situation falls does not give you the outcome or the choices you wanted - please understand that this is not the attorney's fault, but the way of circumstance.

There might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be appreciated!

You can always request me for a future legal consultation through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=7286322&FID=7 If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”

Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience: Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.