Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
18210975

hello, i work at a high school and i have been accused of selling

Customer Question

hello, i work at a high school and i have been accused of selling meth to students also in the last ten months i have been pulled over about 8 times three of them were with k9 dogs . their excuse for pulling me over have been stopping to close to the side walk line the tire touched the line not usings my turn signal 100 ft and making to wide of a turn. twice they have pulled up asking who was in the car with me and if i knew where some one was. they have driven by to run the plates of the cars parked in my drive way then park down the road and then they pulled them over searched their car even though he said no . and they pulled over a person who i do not personally know they pulled her over three times searched her car and asked her if she came from my house a known drug house they even used my name . and no tickets were given out.
my principal recieven a name less email saying that i was involved with selling to two students who were arrested . now i am under investigation
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello -

Thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to helping you with your legal problem today.

What is your legal question?

Thanks,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i realized i didnt really ask one my ? I didnt do anything these kids used my name so they would get off easy i mean whats better then a teacher selling drugs! but i am concerned with slander the cops asking people if they have been to my house using my name this unnamed emial i think it came from the cops too. they cant do that can they ? cant i sue them for this.

It depends on what the email said. I am guessing the police officers said that you have been accused by the children or that the children mentioned your name. As long as that is a true statement, there is nothing wrong with the police notifying the school. The police have to make an untrue statement against you (Mr. X admitted to selling drugs, for example) that damages your reputation to be actionable.

Good luck,

If my answer was helpful, please click ACCEPT so I may be compensated for my time. If you are not satisfied with the Answer, please feel free not to Accept, and post a follow up question so I may be able to clarify my Answer. My goal is to provide an outstanding Answer, so give me a chance.

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the letter said that it was from a person who described him self as a community mwmber who alleged that i have been selling drugs to high school students who were caught , they said i sold it to them and that i let students in to my house to buy drugs as well as my car ... this is total bull shit and i want to know who wrote this letter and who these students are. I mean come on ... this is my life we are talking about . i did nothing . dont i have rights?

Yes, you do have rights. The person who sent the letter is guilty of libel, which is written defamation. The person made a false statement to a third party which in turn damaged your reputation. If you can find out who sent the letter, you can sue them for defamation and ask for damages in the amount that you have suffered as a result of the false statement being made. I am sorry to hear about your situation and I do hope it works out.

Good luck,

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i was told the email had no address but thats almoct impossible they all have a address. is there any legal means i can use to help me get a copy of the email, the school in turned notified the police who turned it over to the narcotics department six months ago now the school is investigating these alligations. personally i think it was the police who sent the email to the school is there anything i can do about the poilice pulling me over and over and over to stop them

If the police file charges against you, the email would be part of discovery which you would be entitled to see. Otherwise, there is no legal route you could use to demand to see the email.

As far as the pulling over goes, there is nothing you can do. If you are under investigation, the police are going to pull you over. I would suggest that you cease hanging out with any of the people you previously did, because obviously someone you were around is making the police believe that you were doing something which you say you were not.

Good luck,

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great, so i it wouldnt do me any good to get a lawyer here in oregon, to fight this .

Now the school can they fire me for these false allegations ? Wouldnt i have to be charged by the police in order for them to do so. there has to be proof that i did this right?

It is always advisable to retain an attorney if charges are filed against you.

The school can only fire you for violations of your contract or "misconduct". If being investigated by the police counts is prohibited in their employment policies, then yes they could fire you. I would suggest you take a look at your employment contract to find out the exact reasons they may fire you.

Hope this works out,

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I didnt do anything wrong , some kid throws my name out there and all hell breaks loose! i will check my contract . I need to talk to my union rep again too . sad that any one could do this to another person . i love my job and i work so hard with these kids .

one more thing what if these kids didnt go to my school? we here about kids who have been busted and they are no longer in school .what if they didnt attend our school at all or if they dropped out and were not attending school at all and mr member of the community made a false statement

The fact that the kids did not attend the school would not matter when it came to the defamation. Making a false statement that damages someone's reputation is defamation regardless of the other circumstances.

Good luck!

Regards,

Michael
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so how can i find out who he is ...there has to be a way the school fires my because i am being investigated violation of my contract lets say no charges are filed agianst me but i loose my job thats not right !

Again, I'm sorry but there is no legal way to get the email from the school. You have no right to it, because it was sent to them, not you. If they fire you, you should be afforded an administrative hearing, at which you should be able to see the email. If they fire you against your contract policy, you can sue them for breach of contract. At that point, you could ask for the email in discovery. Basically, if there is not a case or charges pending, you're not going to see the email.

Regards,

Michael
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Licensed Missisippi Attorney; Criminal Law, Family Law, Personal Injury, and Civil Defense
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well i want to thank you for your advice and your time . I wish i could tell you i feel better but i cant. I guess i will just have to wait and see what happens.

Thank you once again

I'm sorry I could not make you feel better. Sometimes the law is harsh like that. I do wish you the best of luck.

Michael

(no need to respond to this).