Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

My 12 yr old son took some (propranolol and codeine)prescrip

Customer Question

My 12 yr old son took some (propranolol and codeine)prescription drugs and gave them to a friend at school and got caught. He did not have any on him but the friend turned him in. He admits to the beta blocker propranolol but not the codeine. He was charged with an 11352 furnishing a controlled substance. I dont think the propranolol is a CS. Since this is a juvenile matter will it go to trial? Should I get a lawyer? I dont want to go into this with my eyes shut.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
FranL :

Here is the statute for California Health and Safety Code Section 11352.

As you can see, this is a serious charge, punishable by 3, 4, or 5 years. You are correct. The propranolol is not a controlled substance, but he is charged with the codeine as well, which is.

Don't go into this without a lawyer for him. He is young enough so that something will likely be worked out here, especially as drugs were found on someone else rather tha himnself. But you should be prepared for all contingencies.

Yes, he can have a trial in the Juvenile Court system, though not a jury trial.

FranL :

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

Live Chat will close but you can continue to post follow-ups on this thread if you need clarification.

FranL :