Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

Hello, Can anyone help me in finding out two things what is

Customer Question

Hello, Can anyone help me in finding out two things: what is the exact definition of "battery on police officer" in the state of Florida? and what would a "felon" be prohibited from doing in the state of Florida?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
FranL :

You can find the legal definition of battery on a police officer for the state of Florida in the statute itself, which defines the important terms and then goes on to lay out the elements of the crime and the penalties for the offense. Here is the Florida 784.07 Assault or Battery of Law Enforcement Officers.

Once someone has a felony conviction he loses his civil rights. They include, the right to vote, to sit on a jury, to hold public office, and to bear arms. It also may bar the felon from being able to acquire certain state licenses.

The Florida's ACLU website gives some more detail on this, and it also provides links to how a felon may go about trying to restore his rights. If he's lost his civil rights in Florida, he's lost them everywhere in the States, but if Florida gives his back, he's got them restored everywhere.

One can get a passport and leave the country with a felony conviction, so long as the felon is not on probation or parole or have active warrants. Some countries do have laws that would prevent felons from visiting, however.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

Live Chat will close but you can continue to post follow-ups on this thread if you need clarification

Customer:

Hello are you there?

FranL :

Yes. I'm here.

Customer:

Ok sorry. Im nervous about using this site

FranL :

If you'd rather not have live chat because it makes you too nervous, I can switch you to a reqular question answer format. But once I do that, I can't switch you back.

Customer:

No thats ok. I meant this is my first time on this and I do not know if this is safe. Sorry. No offense, Smiles. Can I find anything else on the Internet regarding these two things? Im just looking for information.

FranL :

This is a legit website. It's the largest provider of information services on the web and has a great rating with the Better Business Bureau. The only thing you have to consider is that what you post is on the web. So you don't want to give anyone's name or anything that will identify anyone.

Customer:

Hmmm, good idea. I wont do that then. Im just looking for information for research purposes that is all. So there's no Internet places I can research this more?

FranL :

Sure there is. If you want to know more in general about restoration of rights in Florida, you can just Google it and get lots of sites. If you want case law, then you have to go to a law library or have special research software.

Customer:

Ok, one last question please. Whats the exact definition of "battery on a police officer" in Florida? How is it defined there?

FranL :

One moment. I just realized that they define law enforcement officer in there but not the battery. Let me get you the other statute.

FranL :

ok, here's the definition of battery in Florida.

Customer:

hmm if i touch the hyperlink I lose touch with you and lose paying you and i dont want to lose paying you.

Customer:

OH! I see ok. This should help with my school paper. Ok, I will go check the definition now. Is paying you a one time payment withdrawal? (no, i haven't used justanswer before. this is my first time).

Customer:

do I go to the definition hyperlink first or do the payment first?

FranL :

If you press CTRL on your keyboard and hold it down while you're clicking the hyperlink, it should open up in a new window. If not, all you have to do is go back on your browser (if you know how to do that). Or, you could pay me first, pick up the thread again on your My Questions page, and use the hyperlink.

Customer:

OK, Ms. FranL. I thank you for your assistance. You have been kind and I apologize for the lateness in keeping you up. College papers aren't as easy these days. :-) Thank you!

FranL :

They were never easy!

FranL :

Cool

Customer:

Yup!! Ok, thank you. I will continue to research more from here. I appreciate the headstart!

Customer:

Have a nice evening!

Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the accept!

I'm writing so that you'll get an email from JA with a link to this thread, in case you lose the hyperlink! No need to reply.