How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

pled to penal code 289h was told i needed to register under

Customer Question

pled to penal code 289h was told i needed to register under penal code 290 in 1989 in 1996 recived a it was a felony do i still have to register as i seen where 261.5 and 289h where not required
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law experience. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information.
  2. " i still have to register..." Based on what you have related here, the answer would be no. California Penal Code § 290 sets forth list of offenses requiring registration, which includes California Penal Code § 289. However, provided you are not currently under supervision of any sort and do not re-offend in the future, California Penal Code § 290.5 relieves you of the duty to register pursuant to having obtained your certificate of rehabilitation.
  3. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do i tell the doj and police that i no longer need to register do i need to go back to court and if so can you recomend an attorney on central coast that knows this area of law?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello again,


Thanks for writing back -- good to hear from you. It has been my pleasure to be of service.


I will be glad to comment further. Many thanks for your prompt payment.


I would suggest you start with the state authorities as they will share the information with the federal officials. The first step would be to contact the California Department of Justice,(NNN) NNN-NNNN [email protected], Sex Offender Tracking Program, P. O. Box 903387, Sacramento, CANNN-NN-NNNN Explain your circumstances and request guidance in establishing your relief of the registration duty.


Should that fail to work, your next step would be to confer with local legal counsel. The terms of participation for this forum prohibit the making of direct referrals. However, an excellent resource would be the Lawyer Referral Services Program. You would just use the menu tool "County Programs" to search for your area. Once you select your county, you would contact your local service and request a referral to a criminal defense attorney. The referrals are generally offered free of charge or for a very modest fee.


I hope that is of some additional help and that all works out for you in this matter.


Take care and thanks again for choosing JustAnswer®!