Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

My daughter, who is 6, was molested by a 15 year old nephew.

My daughter, who is 6, was molested by a 15 year old nephew. He's been charged and the court is asking me what I'd like to see with the outcome of this case. What is a reasonable response to this? I'm not sure what they're asking. Is it for them to pay for her continued therapy until she's 18? That they have their son in proper counseling with someone who is certified for perpetrators? Compensation for moving out of state to protect my daughter? Compensation for emotional stress (since we've been harrassed for almost 1 year)? I don't know what I'm supposed to think of, neither do I know what is an acceptable request. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your response.

Generally, by asking that, they want to know whether you want to see the defendant locked up in a detention facility or if you want him to be on probation with special conditions (counseling, etc.). In terms of what you want out of it, you can tell the ADA anything that you are interested in and he or she can tell you whether that is a realistic outcome or not. Counseling is almost a given in a case like this, but you can certainly express your views on it. It is unlikely that you can get compensation for moving your daughter out of state, but medical expenses relating to the abuse is a possibility. Prosecutors always ask the victims what they want so that they can try to tailor their plea offer in such a way that it accommodates as many of your wishes as possible. You may see everything you want accomplished, but this way you can make all of your concerns known so that the ADA either can work it out for you or offer some alternatives.