DCrane Law
DCrane Law, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney

So my girl friend just recieved a summons for a class C felony

So my girl friend just recieved a summons for a class C felony for altering a prescription for vicodin. She changed an 10 to an 18, it was a stupid mistake, but now we need to deal with it. She got the prescription for 10 vicodin for IUD pain, but had prior pain for a fractured wrist; which she is supposed to go see a specialist for in a week. The summons is in a month, and now we need to figure out what to do. Should she just plead her case to the judge? Use a court appointed lawyer? I just returned from a deployment from Iraq, so I have some money, but i don't know how much it would cost to hire our own lawer
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  DCrane Law replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the post, a class C felony charge is fairly serious, and can result in up to a 5 year sentence. I would recommend retaining private counsel, it may cost you a few thousand dollars however.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Do you think it will likely be dropped down when presented to a judge? She has no previous charges of an kind other than a speeding ticket from 3 years ago?
I do not think it will be dropped.