Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

I have two dui convictions in the state of Georgia. I was

Customer Question

I have two dui convictions in the state of Georgia. I was just arrested for another the other day for Dui in Groton. I was extremely upset because of the abusive marringe I have tried to endure for many years. I would like to know if it is possible to evade jail time for this. I have two children and I cant go to prison and leave them with this man. What should I do?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Connecticut has a 5 year look back period for previous DUI arrests. Thus, if your two priors in GA were within 5 years, you would be considered a 3rd offender and are looking at jail time of at least 1 year and up to 3 years. The court can give community service in lieu of the jail time. As far as the abusive marriage defense, this is not going to work as a defense to DUI, so you are going to need an attorney to work on challenging other areas to seek to at least get some type of plea deal from the prosecutor. Most times, they can arrange a plea deal of alcohol rehab classes and community service and fines and sometimes with out of state convictions they can even negotiate for the DUI to be considered a first offense. You do need to get a local DUI specialist attorney to assist you here and should not be trying to do this alone because without someone negotiating for you, jail time is a realistic possibility.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would be willing to go to rehab for the summer. do u think that this would be my only possibility of avoiding jail time??
I think rehab is your best chance, but do not do anything without an attorney seeking some approval from the court because if you enter a program not approved by the court it would not be helpful at all.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I hope u appreciated the tip. Thank you for the information. So do u recommend anyone in Groton? I see that your license is not for this state. I made an appointment with Mark O Greater. Could u please point me in a direction. Thank u again.

We are not allowed to make any personal referrals by the rules of this site, the best we can do is suggest the same sites used by other attorneys, http://www.martindale.com and http://www.findlaw.com