LawTalk, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years legal experience

Going in Friday for a possible hair alcohol test (UA and hair

Going in Friday for a possible hair alcohol test (UA and hair test done randomly so do not know for sure). No drinks for the last 18 months.   I messed up and had drinks 5/22, 5/25, 5/29, 5/29 and 5/30 will it be enough time for what they test to show up?   I am bald so I have no scalp hair, I do have a beard and mustache.
Can anything be done to help with the results if this is enough time for something to show up?
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.

While the traditional alcohol test will result in a positive if you have ingested alcohol within approximately 48 hours, there is another commonly used test known as the EtG test and this test will read positive for approximately 80 hours after ingestion. The EtG test does not show how much alcohol was ingested----simply that some was ingested.

The EtG test has recently been attacked as being unreliable and you may want to consider such a defense if you show positive. Here is a link to an interesting site:

However, given that the last time you had a drink was on Sunday, May 30....and given that you will be tested on Friday--a time which is roughly 120 hours later----it is unlikely that you will test positive so long as you ingest no additional alcohol between now and then.

I wish you the best in 2010.

Please don’t forget that I only receive credit for having helped you when you click on the Accept Button located at my Answer.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Etg mentioned in your reply is for the UA testing.
I was aksing about the hair alcohol testing and how long it will take for the markers to show up in the hair shaft.
If the time is within the period for the markers to show up is there anyway to cleanse the hair (remember no scalp hair, do have a beard and mustache). Can any other body hair be used for accuate results?
Good morning,

Because you mentioned that UA and hair would be done randomly, and because UA is generally used for alcohol because of the expense of hair----I provided the likely result.

Other body hair can be satisfactorily substituted for scalp hair, and you can not "clean" the hair to alter the test results----it just doesn't work. You will read info on the net indicating that you can strip the markers using a certain shampoo but it doesn't work.

If hair follicle testing is done, alcohol can be tested for and will test positive for 3 to 4 weeks after ingestion.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just a few more question....
Hair takes time to grow. Will the markers be in the hair within this short period of time? Or does it take longer for them to even show up? Hair grows at an average rate of 1 cc per month. If I read correctly they need 2 cc for the hair alcohol test. Is that correct?
I know it will best positive for many weeks afterwards, but what is the shortest period that it will even show up in the hair?
Hair grows 24/7 and the markers are laid down as the alcohol is in your system. So, yes, it will show up almost immediately in your hair.

Generally a strand of 1 to 1 1/2 inches is taken for testing. The recent ingestion markers will be closest to the hair follicle itself. You will almost certainly test positive if a hair follicle test is done 5 days after you have ingested---much less two weeks later---I'm sorry.

I hope that you are simply given a UA this Friday.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not entirely favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so. I do work diligently to provide you with the correct Answer under the law, and because I have no control over what the law is, I ask you not to hold that against me. It has been my pleasure to assist you, and would be greatly appreciated if you would click the green Accept icon so that I can receive credit for having answered your Question. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,