Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

how does a federal inmate go about requesting home confinement instead of a halfway h

how does a federal inmate go about requesting home confinement instead of a halfway house? He's an orthodox Jew, and the HWH in Newark, NJ is not able to handle his needs.
The only way to get this done is by order of the court that issued your sentence and you are going to need an attorney that specializes in federal court criminal cases and they would file a motion with the sentencing court for home confinement based on the grounds you are alleging and it is up to the court to decide whether or not to approve.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry - I wasn't able to view your nswer to: XXXXX XXXXX much should I expect to pay the attorney in this case?
I am sorry, I never received that follow up question. Federal attorneys are a little more expensive than other attorneys because they do practice in the federal courts which a little more complex. The cost of filing such a motion will generally run you between $1500-$3000 depending on the attorney and could cost more if multiple court appearances are required to have the motion heard.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Oh Boy!! Thank you for your help.
Thank you.