Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

once police take juvenile into custody how long do they have

once police take juvenile into custody how long do they have before they have to take that juvenile to a processing office? does the juvenile have to have a migrate's warning? how does this differ from adult arrest
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 7 years ago.
There is no set time frame that the juvenile must be transported to the processing office, this is based on the reasonable time it takes the officer to complete their investigation. The officers have to advise the juvenile of their Miranda Rights, just like an adult, only if they are going to question the juvenile about the incident, but if there is no questioning then no Miranda Rights are required. The differences between the two arrests are that they must be taken to a separate facility for processing that does not process adults, that they are held separately from adults, that the report on the arrest be submitted within a reasonable time after the arrest and also that the officer has the discretion to do what is known as a custodial release where they can sign the juvenile over to a parent or adult instead of physical arrest. If the juvenile is held over then they must appear before the juvenile court within 24 hours (business days) of their detention.

Also, juveniles are not found guilty, they are adjudicated delinquent.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”