JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Handling criminal and probation matters for over 14 years.

I have been arrested for soliciting prostitution recently.

I have been arrested for soliciting prostitution recently. My charges were reduced down to disorderly conduct and that is what i have on my record. My questions are:
1. Is my original charge public information? Or Disorderly Conduct the only charge/conviction available to public?
2. I have been offered a job working for one of the casinos in my area which requires a gaming license. Can the gaming board find out what the original charges were? Or is Disorderly Conduct the only thing they are going to see?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

Were you finger-printed?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No i was not.
Have you been sentenced yet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago. February. I had to pay a fine and take a class, that was it.
You can go to this link and order a copy of your criminal history report from the MSP:

Because you were not fingerprinted, none of this will probably appear on that report. The information is still public information but it will only be found if someone contacts the court that handled the case and does a case name search and/or contacts the police department that made the arrest and does a person search.

Good luck and best wishes. I hope that you find this information to be helpful and this answer to be ACCEPTable!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Well right.....i already looked on i-chat and you are correct, there is nothing there. My concern is this though. I want to know if someone does contact 36th district court in Detroit, what information will be available to them? Will it be the orginal charge or will it be reduced charge with a conviction? My understanding is this....the whole purpose of getting my original charges reduced to disorderly conduct, is so that i don't have solicitation anywhere on my record. Is my understanding correct?
If someone contacts the 36th District Court, they can learn the date of the offense, the original charge, the location of the offense, and how the case was resolved (e.g.,the plea to the other charge).

As a general matter, the purpose of seeking an amended charge from solicitation to disorderly person is to avoid having to register on the sex offender list for the next 25 years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Can anything be done to have it sealed? In the class that i had to take, i was told that if i had complied with the court orders (which i had) the record can be expunged given that it's a first offense. How true is that? If it is true, how do i go about doing that?

If there is only one conviction and after 5 years have passed, one can file a motion to set aside the conviction (e.g., expungement). The form with instructions can be found here:

Hope this helps!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Nothing at all can be done before 5 years are up?

The five-year requirement is established by state law.