How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawHelpNow Your Own Question
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Category: Criminal Law
Satisfied Customers: 7639
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Type Your Criminal Law Question Here...
LawHelpNow is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello my name is jim and I recently was in a minor traffic

Resolved Question:

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I recently was in a minor traffic accident and I didnt stop to render aid or give info so I am being charged with "Accident Involving Damage to attended veh/prop as well as failure to give info and render aid as well as not having insurance at the time. Can you tell me what I can expect to recieve in court as this is my first time in court and have never had any offenses before this. Am I goin to jail?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks for choosing Just Answer®. I am a licensed attorney, and I will be glad to try and assist you. To provide you with accurate information, could you please clarify these points:


  1. What is the jurisdiction (state) in question?
  2. Were there injuries sustained by the other person(s) in the wreck?


Once I hear back from you, I will be glad to let you know my answer. There may be some delay as I am assisting other customers or am away from my computer. Please rest assured, however, that I will get back to you as soon as possible.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This happened in Pennsylvania and there were no injuries.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thanks so much for choosing this forum to pose your important legal question. I will do my best to give you some honest and accurate guidance as I answer your question.


  1. I am a licensed attorney with criminal law experience including vehicular offense and traffic cases. I will be glad to try and answer your question. I hope that the following information will be helpful to you, but please just write back if you have any follow-up questions or need clarification on anything after reviewing the following information. I hope this matter gets resolved appropriately for you. Thank you for taking the time to write back and supply the additional requested information, which was helpful to my analysis of your inquiry.
  2. The offense of accidents involving damage to attended vehicle or property is classified as a third degree misdemeanor with a penalty range of a fine of $2,500, imprisonment for up to one year, or both. 75 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3743. The duty to give information and render aid is codified at 75 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 3744. Finally, the offense of operation of a motor vehicle without required financial responsibility is classified as a summary offense with a penalty of loss of driving privileges along with a fine of $300. 75 Pa. Cons. Stat. § 1786.
  3. Having said all of that, given the lack of a prior criminal record and absence of aggravating factors (i.e. injuries, intoxicants, etc.), a sentence involving no confinement (jail/prison) would be more in the realm of likely outcomes. Without a doubt, your best bet for receiving the most favorable deal lies in the skill of defense counsel. I would encourage you to schedule a consultation with a local attorney for $30 through the Lawyer Referral Service. This would represent money very well spent to take a proactive approach and outline strategy before your initial appearance.
  4. I hope that makes sense, but please do not hesitate to write back if needed. I shall be signing off soon to attend to some other professional obligations. Please rest assured, however, that I will be sure to check for any updated posts from you when I return to this online forum.


I hope that this information has been helpful to you. If we can be of any further assistance please free to use our service again. Best wishes for a successful outcome.


If my answer has been helpful to you, please click "ACCEPT" so that I may be paid. This is the only way that I will receive compensation for the work performed. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done. Clicking "FEEDBACK" to leave your positive comments is always greatly appreciated.


The information provided is general in nature only and should not be construed as legal advice. By using this forum, you acknowledge that no attorney-client relationship has been created between you and Benjamin M. Burt, Jr., Esq. You should always consult with a lawyer in your state.

LawHelpNow and 4 other Criminal Law Specialists are ready to help you