Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

I have a felony i earned at 17/18 that was 24 years ago never

I have a felony i earned at 17/18 that was 24 years ago never been in trouble since. The thing is I went to college aquired a degree in the medical field and cannot find work as I am turned down. This was all non-violent by the way. how can I be forgiven its 2 cases one with-held adju. the other adju guilty.please help.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately, while it's clear that you have taken steps to have turned yourself around since your teenage years, the state of Florida will not expunge a felony conviction. I am linking you to the law for the state so that you will read what few offenses they will remove. (See link) You can see that they will, on the other hand, expunge a diversion program successfully completed by a minor if it was part of a prearrest or post arrest disposition. Your adjudication withheld probably comes under that category and, if so, is expengeable.

So it looks like you were on the right track with the idea of trying to get your two cases combined and withheld, assuming that the judge and DA would be willing to allow that to happen in the interest of justice. It's a very long shot, but if you've been out of trouble for 24 years and the crimes were non-violent incidents committed when you were still a minor, it is not necessarily impossible. If it's something you can achieve at all, it would require the assistance of a lawyer.

Failing that, the only other recourse you would have would be to apply to the governor of Florida for a pardon. Pardons do not erase a criminal record, but they are very difficult to obtain. So a pardon, noted on your criminal history would still be official proof that the state has forgiven you for your offense and acknowledged that you have turned your life around.

I know that the health profession has very tough standards when it comes to getting a license or a job and an applicant has a criminal record. So I don't know if a pardon would help you work at a state hospital, for example. But it could broaden your career options much further than they are now. You have nothing to lose by trying to get one, as you would be able to apply for a pardon without needing a lawyer.

The Florida Office of Executive Clemency does the applicant screening for the governor. I am linking you to the site which has links to forms and instructions. (See link) Through this process you also restore your civil rights, such as your right to vote, to sit on a jury and run for office.

Good luck!

_____

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your state for specific legal advice.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a way I could petition the court with the judge that is now in-charge of those cases to ask if he could change the final disposition from adjudicated guilty to withheld adjudication and put the cases together, being they were all don't at the same time? I have 1 case withheld and the other 2 adjudicated guilty but all were done at the same time I don't understand why I have 1 adjudicated and 2 that are not? if the cases are placed together, I can get the case expunged if he does change the final disposition.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 4 years ago.

You could certainly ask to have them put together with sentences withheld, as they were all done at the same time, or , for that matter, you can ask for the other cases to be dismissed. But as I said earlier, what you're asking for is something unusual in the interest of justice , just because you've been out of trouble for a long time and want your record to reflect it. Though the judge could do such a thing for you, he would probably not without the consent of the prosecutor, and it is something that he would not be inclined to do without a compelling interest. State's want their convictions to stick, because they want laws to be obeyed.

It would take a lawyer to put some kind of package together here for you that a judge might be inclined to grant. The fact that these weren't put together back when you first disposed of them and that it's tough for you to find a job won't be good enough. It would likely be expensive to try to achieve, and there's no guarantee that it would work.

___________

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.

Experience: Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.