Cedric, Criminal Defense Lawyer
Experience:  Several Years of Criminal Defense Trials in L.A. and O.C. as public defender and private attorney

I had a domestic fight with my live in girlfriend on sat, I

Customer Question

I had a domestic fight with my live in girlfriend on sat, I left and got a hotel room, I think she called the police and said she had been kicked in the arm, what should I do? I cant find out if the police issued a warrant or they just want to hear my side of the incident
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
You shouldn't speak to the police unless you know that they just want to file a follow up police report and aren't going to arrest you. Regardless, you are under no obligation to speak to the police, and shouldn't do so, since they will normally just use what you say against you.

I realize it may seem that you're hiding something by refusing to speak to the police, but all you have to tell them is that you don't want to speak to them without an attorney present and they cannot force you to talk to them unless they do have a warrant for your arrest.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How can I find out if there is a warrant issued at this time?
Expert:  Cedric replied 6 years ago.
You can call the police and ask them to see if they will tell you.

If there is, the best thing for you to do would be to turn yourself in, of course, since you wouldn't want to get in more trouble by being charged with attempting to evade arrest.

They most likely would not detain you, and you just issue you a citation with a future court date with an arraignment, at which you can request a public defender.