Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.

What are the steps to getting an expungement of a criminal

What are the steps to getting an expungement of a criminal charge?
How long can a civil lawsuit continue if there is no action after discovery?
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.

New York State does not expunge felonies. It will sealjuvenile matters, dismissals, acquittals, youthful offender dispositions, and favorable drug court dispositions by operation of law. It is possible, though generally unlikely, to get a matter sealed down the road by petitioning the court. It would require a lawyer and the consent of the DA.

You can apply for a Certificate of Relief from Civil Disabilities or a Certificate of Good Conduct (depending upon your criminal record) to restore your civil rights (except for gun rights) after a NYS felony offense and to prevent NYS employers from discriminating against you on the basis of a NYS misdemeanor or felony conviction. This does not seal the record but is the equivalent of a pardon from the state, and official acknowledgment that a defendant has turned his life around. You can find out how more about what they do and don't do and how to obtain one here:

The right to a speedy trial is a Constitutional right which applies to criminal cases only.

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.