Zoey_ JD
Zoey_ JD, JustAnswer Criminal Law Mentor
Experience:  Admitted to NYS Criminal defense bar in 1989. Extensive arraignment, hearing, trial experience.
18321761

is 6503.1 a crime in pennsylvania or a enhancement

Customer Question

Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Jacustomer,

Pennsylvania's 6503.1a is not in the penal code (where 6503 has to do with illegally posting ads on someone else's property) but under Title 75 (Vehicles) in Pa Cons Stats. It defines and explains the state's habitual defender law. A "habitual offender" is a designation that would be applied after the third DUI conviction which would subject the defendant to more severe penalties. It is an enhancement statute. (see http://www.scribd.com/doc/30597840/SB-688-PN801-via-MyGov365-com)

___________

If I've helped, please click the green Accept button so I can get credit for my work.

This thread will not close and you can always use it to get clarification.This is informational only and is NOT legal advice. There is no attorney-client relationship. You are advised to consult an attorney in your State for specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was charged with a 6503.1 for driving with a suspended license as a crime because i was suspended for 3dui back in 2002 first offense how is that. as a crime not an enhancement.

Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Jacustomer,

It is an enhancement. In otherwords, once your third dui earns you the designation of a habitual offender, many different vehicular offenses will get treated more harshly with enhanced penalties.

It's confusing to follow, but if you look over the link I sent you for 6503.1, you will specifically see how it gets applied to enhance a suspension.

___________

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
last thing were is the link?
Expert:  Zoey_ JD replied 6 years ago.
Sorry. The site seems to be having technical difficulties and I cannot embed the link. I posted it for you above and will give it to you again. You're going to have to copy it and paste it into your browser. Here it is below:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30597840/SB-688-PN801-via-MyGov365-com