Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  Handle criminal matters in both state and federal courts.
10707909

Can i beat a 2c 28.8(b) ticket i had a badge in my wallet and

Can i beat a 2c:28.8(b) ticket i had a badge in my wallet and the police officer who pulled me over charged me with impersonation of a police officer. In the state of new jersey i have no prior criminal history what am i looking at as far as fines and penalties? Can the court knock this summons down to a municiple fine? What are my Options.

hi

here is the NJ law as it pertains to your situation. if convicted, the penalty is up to six months in prison - however, you could have it downgraded to a municipal charge with a fine and no criminal record, if the badge is something you retained from a previous employment. you should consult with a loval attorney.

2C:28-8. Impersonating a public servant or law enforcement officer

a. Except as provided in subsection b. of this section, a person commits a disorderly persons offense if he falsely pretends to hold a position in the public service with purpose to induce another to submit to such pretended official authority or otherwise to act in reliance upon that pretense.

b. A person commits a crime of the fourth degree if he falsely pretends to hold a position as an officer or member or employee or agent of any organization or association of law enforcement officers with purpose to induce another to submit to such pretended official authority or otherwise to act in reliance upon that pretense.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What kind of municple charges are you refering too...

hi

there is a municipal ordinance and a state law. you have been charged with the state law. a local attorney would be able to determine which muncipal ordiance a DA would be amenable to, if the badge is something you had from say another employer.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No it's not from a previous employer nor did attempt to use it in anyway the officer just saw it and took me in and gave me a ticket for impersonation saying I was trying to use it. It' was just something that was just on a walet and never thought anything about it but thanks for your insight I just really would like to pay off fines and be done with this situation. I don't want to do anytime. Do you think that even with my clean criminal background there could be a plea bargan?

hi

yes, it is very possible. i do not have access to the municipal code that might apply. that is why i suggest a local attorney to assist you.