Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with over 20 years law enforcement, prosecution, civil rights and defense experience
10285032

how is someone eligible for half time in prison my husband

how is someone eligible for half time in prison? my husband is going to get sent to prison but is signing to 85% and he was told once he gets to prison he will get half time because it's his first term. He has never been in jail.
He doesn't get "half time" he will have to serve 85%, but what happens is once he gets to prison he can accumulate what is known as "good time" meaning he can get credit for 1 day good time for each day he serves which effectively reduces his sentence (this applies only in state prison, not federal which has no good time). Good time is given for good behavior in prison and not violating any rules.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

Please remember this is a dialog if you have follow up questions please use the REPLY button and ask. If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

PLEASE NOTE WELL: IF YOU CLICK OPT OUT I CANNOT REPLY TO YOUR FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS AND YOU MAY NEVER GET ANY REPLY OR IT WILL DELAY MY ABILITY TO REPLY TO YOU. Also, if you use RELIST, I MAY NOT SEE YOUR RESPONSE AND IT WILL DELAY YOUR REPLY.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so if he is signing to 12yrs 85% from the county and he's done two and he is getting sent prison....how long do you think he might spend in there.?
Generally, he would end up doing about 4-5 years before he could apply for parole and he would likely end up doing about 7 years if he cannot get parole.