Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Criminal Lawyer
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience, primarily in criminal law

If my signature was forged on a scholarship that was lower

Customer Question

If my signature was forged on a scholarship that was lower that the original scholarship I signed for a higher amount, is that not against the law? I signed a scholarship for 10k. Then I found out my scholarship was lowered by 600 dollars and a false signature of mine was put upon it. What could/should I do? I'm wondering how far this could be taken. I would prefer to avoid all of that but knowing how far it could go, maybe a threat for my scholarship to pay off my last year of school would be all I need without needing to deal with taking it too far.
Category: Criminal Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 6 years ago.

You could make a report to police as to the forgery and pursue criminal charges. However, you have to know exactly who put the forged signature on the document in order for someone to be criminally charged. And of course, if you make threats of criminal action, you would have to be prepared for potentially losing your entire scholarship...the organization will probably look for a way to yank it (particularly if they are unethical enough to forge a signature), and then you might have to pursue civil remedies to try to get the money back. It is entirely up to you how to proceed, but just be cognizant of the fact that it may have repercussions for the rest of your money.